10 September 2009

Sula by Toni Morrison: A Review

I honestly can't decide how I feel about this book. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't thrilled with it. I think I was expecting it to be much, much better than it was.

Sula follows two girls from an African American community, the Bottom, in the small town of Medallion, as they grow into adulthood and take two very divergent paths with their lives. Nel marries and stays in town, becoming a pillar of the community. Sula, in the meantime, disappears for nearly 10 years, goes to college, travels, and then comes back to Medallion, which results in a terrible blow to her and Nel's friendship.

Along the way of following the two girls into adulthood we, as readers, get to meet various members of the girl's families, especially the women. I do think Morrison does an interesting job in creating multi-layered characters and teasing out the intricacies of the relationships within the book.

I know this isn't much of a review, but since I can't decide how I feel about the book, I can't really decide what to say about it.

No comments: